The Answer is “YES” – Website theme do matter a lot for SEO, Google has released a short video answering the question of whether the theme of a website influences SEO. The video’s host, John Mueller, confirmed that a website’s theme does have an impact on SEO and explained how this happens.
“It’s easy to consider website themes as just a splash of color on top of a finished structure. But there’s so much more involved.”
Many SEO-critical content aspects are impacted by a website’s theme:
- Text Images
- The way links between pages are created
- page load times
- Structured Data
Good themes, according to Google, make it easier for search engines to interpret the information, and Mueller confirmed that generally changing a website’s theme affects SEO.
It was a good idea to test out a website theme before choosing one.
- Try themes out on a test website
- Add content from previous website
- Block indexing of a test website so that Google doesn’t accidentally crawl it
- Review HTML generated by the theme
Selecting a Theme is Critical
Many themes claim to be search engine-friendly. But this isn’t always the case. Google’s PageSpeed insights tool shows that a large number of themes have poor performance. Even some of the “SEO friendly” themes’ showcase websites perform terribly.
Themes, for example, might have a detrimental impact on the speed of your website by
- Necessitating the use of many plug-ins in order to function fully.
- More external resources are being loaded (scripts, webfonts)
- Loading excess internal resources (scripts, webfonts)
- Poor coding
- CSS that hasn’t been optimised
Site architecture is a major concern, especially when a site is rebuilt and some themes have specific post types set up that compel a URL structure that may not match the previous design.
Join Digital Marketing Course to Learn how to select the best Website theme
Suvidit Academy Digital Marketing Course is best to learn the Skill of designing and optimizing it for SEO. This course will keeps you aligned with the digital transformation initiatives happening across the world and help you learn the skills by Doing & Practicing on daily basis.